Wednesday, December 6, 2017

You Can't Have Him - (For My Daddy)

You came in like a thief in the night. Taking nearly everything in a mind that was right.
The strong, healthy man that we have always known, has now become one of skin and bone. Why did you do this? You weren't asked to be here. We never invited you. Stop staying so near. For thirty four years this man has been my life. He has been my hero, my friend and my comfort in strife. You see, you don't know him like I do. You don't understand the memories and what we've been through. You don't care that he has a heartbroken family. You captured his mind, we need him free! He needs to be here, from body to mind. We aren't done knowing him yet, there's more for us to find. So many more Christmas photos to take, birthdays to celebrate, memories to make. He is suppose to always remember my face. He is suppose to be aware of every person and place. You made it your job to try and take him away. But we won't let you without a fight. We will do everything to make him stay. The thing is, dementia, we will love him through the worst. No, you can't have him, because we had him first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Settling is Sinking. You Were Born to Rise.

When someone thinks of something "settling", one of the first things that comes to mind is a house. I remember growing up, every t...