Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Real Estate and Teaching and Entertainment...OH MY!

When we are younger, it is put in our head that we need to know what we want to be when we grow up. From the time we can understand words, adults began asking, "What do you want to be when you grow up? A teacher? An astronaut? A doctor? A princess?" We answer with what we think at the time is the "right" answer. As we continue you to get older, the question is still presented to us all throughout school and then when we get to high school, it is drilled in our heads that we have to know what we want to major in when we get to college. We have to know what we want to do. We have to finally figure out what we want to be when we grow up. But the truth is, we don't. There are no set rules saying that we have to know exactly what we have to do for the rest of our lives. That the profession we uttered as a 5 year old is what will be placed on our degrees. In all honesty, I changed majors at least 6 times before I ever got to college and 3 times once I entered. I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. The reason for this was, I had always been a multi-opportunist. What is that you ask? Well allow me to explain:

A multi-opportunist is someone who has an interest in a multitude of different things. Someone who loves learning new jobs and taking on ever changing adventures. Even as a child, I tried everything. Growing up I was in basketball, soccer, tennis, softball, t-ball, theatre, choir, colorguard, piano, clarinet, key club, Spanish club, history club, swimming, clogging, tap, ballet, jazz, gymnastics, bowling, archery, golf, fashion, pottery and fiber arts. No really. All of this was done during and before I turned 18. No, not all of it was happening simultaneously....there is no way. But my parents allowed me to try anything I had an interest in. They let me choose my path. Even if I ended up hating it, I at least stuck with it until the end. Not by their choice, by mine. I have always had an interest in learning everything I can. I will try anything once. I love challenging myself. And I have always been somewhat good in everything I attempted. Even in college, I took every class I could just to see if I could do it. Some, I ended up not doing so well in, but I tried it. I ultimately ended up majoring in Journalism because I (surprise) absolutely love writing. Even so, I never really used my major. During college, I did the college program at Walt Disney World...twice. I was a life guard, merchantainment hostess, attractions hostess and in entertainment. Once again, I did a little bit of everything just to gain the experience. After college, I worked as a client care manager at a real estate company, receptionist at ValuVision, sales at Walgreens, music director, professional pianist, server and bartender, entertainment lead and trainer at Universal Studios, elementary school music teacher and just recently got my real estate license and became a realtor...because, why not, right? With each of these things, I pushed myself beyond what I thought I could do. Each time I challenged myself more and more just to prove to myself that I could do it. There have been so many people who have told me I am crazy and that I need to "grow up and settle into a job". That is fine for other people. If you find something you absolutely love that you are good at and passionate about, that makes you happy and gives you reason to wake up every morning, hell yeah! Do that every single day!! I am all about doing what makes you happy and what fulfills you. For me, I have never seen myself in one job or place for my entire life. I mean, back in 2012 when I got the job at Universal, I interviewed on a Friday in Orlando, found an apartment that Saturday, got back to my home in Tennessee that Monday, packed my entire life up into a moving truck and was back down living in Orlando three days later. I had less than $1,000 and knew no one, but it was something I felt I had to do. Everyone told me I was crazy and that I wouldn't make it. But here I am, five years later. Still making it somehow. Some days are harder than others and sometimes I have no idea how I will make things work, but I always find a way. And you can too.

The point of this is not to brag or to say I am something special. Far from it. The point is to say, I am 34 years old and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. No clue. But I am loving all the experiences along the way. I am learning and growing and challenging myself. And I am doing it because it is what I WANT to do...not because someone told me it is what I HAVE to do. If you want to be a teacher or astronaut or doctor or princess...be the best damn one you can. And if you don't, be the best damn whatever you choose to be. It is your life. There are no rules. There is no handbook. We are all just making this up as we go along. And I think that is one of the most beautiful things about this life. Is that it can be anything you want it to be. So what do you want to be when you grow up? Your answer shouldn't have to be anything more than....happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Settling is Sinking. You Were Born to Rise.

When someone thinks of something "settling", one of the first things that comes to mind is a house. I remember growing up, every t...